Negotiating study time………Mamma! Bas five minutes mein…….
Most of the mothers agree, their children finish their home work in five minutes, but making them sit for home work is a TASK! The moment they enter Kinder Garten, a little aversion from studies is noticed by so many mother….
Performance at school plays a very important role in child’s social and emotional life. We all love to have special attention and appreciation. Self acceptance is more important than grades.
Self esteem developed at childhood creates leader with no scars, one need not be a class topper to create a positive influence in society and lives.
Generally children avoid studies as
- · They feel pressure because of the instructive tones and pitch of elders talking about study.
- · They don’t like to sit with discipline
- · Fear of not performing
- · Running away from expected problems
- · Fear of NOT understanding the concept
- · There could be any specific learning difficulties, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia or learning disability.
How to address it:
How do you talk about studies?
- Parents tone and pitch about home-work play an important role. If we sound pressured, kids start taking home work as a pressure.
- · Make a specific study time when the child is less tired, early evening is preferably a good time.
- · Call it ‘Study-Time’ or ‘Practice-time’ instead of home-work time.
- · Judge your child’s mood, how much ready she is for study else motivate her.
- · Remind about study time 15 mints prior.
- · If child is tired, get her only a small portion of work at specific time.
- · Make them sit again for pending work after sometime.
- · Give appropriate appreciation and rewards.
- · Nutritious diet
- · Annual eye and ear check-up
Even if child get distracted and avoid study or even after putting extra efforts get her assess of any learning disability. Hyperactivity also adds troubles and child lose track with the flow. Specific reading or learning difficulties, dyslexia, dyscalculia may also play a role in it. Not all kids have Reading difficulties are dyslexic
Regular practice by special educator helps child to attain their study goals. And once they developed confidence in them by knowing how to learn they actually enhance problem solving approach.
Identifying interest area of child and using it as a learning tool for him helps a lot to achieve study goal
Blog is written by Dr Seema Rekha, Behaviour and Relationship Expert, a social psychologist, Founder Antarmanh Centre for Emotional Well Being, Director of Health & Wellness Women Energizers.
She is reachable at 9899762011, email@example.com